It’s today! It’s today!
National Cheeseburger Day!!
And we’re not making any old cheeseburger. We’re making “The Ultimate Cheeseburger” by kicking up our burgers with…
BACON!! Now don’t worry, we’re not going to add a whole pound. That would be a bit much.
Three pieces is all we’ll need to take our burgers to the next level. Place them in the bowl of a food processor and process them until they become a smooth paste.
Then add that along with the ground beef and ground pork to a large bowl. We’re gonna be adding a few more things.
Some egg for additional moisture and richness. It will help hold the burgers together as well.
Some Worse-shesh-ta-shire (how the heck do you say that? Still haven’t figured that one out!)
A bit of Kosher salt and…
…some fresh ground black pepper. Oh yeah! It’s about to get crazy!!
Mix all of that up just until the mixture comes together and everything is incorporated. Form into six patties. The patties will have an average weight of around 7.5 ounces. These are some BIG BURGERS. Hey, it’s a celebration! Place them on a parchment lined baking sheet and let them chill out in the freezer for about 15 minutes while you fire up and preheat your grill.
Of course you’re going to want to season those babies one more time with some salt and pepper before they hit the grill.
Make sure to oil your grill. Place the burgers seasoned side down. Cook for 5 minutes. Season the tops, flip and cook for an additional 5 – 7 minutes.
I did say “Cheese”burgers so about a minute before they are completely cooked top them with some cheese. You can use whatever kind you like – American, Swiss, Blue Cheese. I’m using classic Sharp Cheddar. Let the cheese melt a bit then serve your burgers on some good quality buns with whatever toppings you desire.
I have to say this is ONE TASTY BURGER! The ground bacon adds just enough moisture and flavor. Of course you could cook some of the extra bacon and top the burger with it, but, that would technically be a “Bacon Cheeseburger.” H-m-m, I wonder if they have a special day for that?Print
The Ultimate Cheeseburger
Ground bacon adds richness and flavor to these Ultimate Cheeseburgers.
- Category: Lunch/Supper
- Cuisine: American
- 1 1/4 lbs. ground beef (85/15)
- 1 lb. ground pork (80/20)
- 3 slices thick cut bacon
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt, plus additional to taste
- 1/4 tsp. fresh ground black pepper, plus additional to taste
- 6 slices of cheese (American, Swiss or Cheddar)
- Burger buns and toppings of choice
- Place the bacon in the bowl of a food processor. Process until the bacon becomes a smooth paste.
- In a large bowl place the ground beef, ground pork and processed bacon.
- Add the beaten egg, Worcestershire sauce, 1/2 tsp. kosher salt and 1/4 tsp. fresh ground black pepper.
- Gently combine all of the ingredients together until incorporated.
- Divide the meat mixture evenly into 6 portions.
- Form each portion into a burger patty. (They will average around 7.5 ounces)
- Place the patties on a parchment lined baking sheet then allow to chill in the freezer for about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, fire up and preheat a gas grill on high.
- Lower the grill and lightly oil the grates.
- Remove the burgers from the freezer. Season the tops of the burgers then place the burgers on the grill seasoned side down.
- Close lid and cook for 5 minutes.
- Season tops of burgers, flip and cook for an additional 5 – 7 minutes.
- A minute before the burgers are completely cooked, top the burgers with a slice of cheese and allow the cheese to melt.
- Remove burgers and serve immediately on buns with toppings of choice.